Built in 1957, by the Calumet Shipyard and Drydock Company of Chicago, Illinois (hull #230 as the Spartan for the Cleveland Diesel Engine and Diesel Company of Cleveland Ohio.
In 1957, the tug was acquired by James McWilliams of the Blue Line Incorporated of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
The tug was later acquired by Ira S. Bushey and Sons Incorporated of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1977, Ira S. Bushey and Sons Incorporated was acquired by the Amerada Hess Oil Corporation of New York, New York. To form the Spentonbush-Red Star Companies of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1986, she was reefed off of the New Jersey Coast.
Powered by a single, turbo charged, two cycle, twelve cylinder, Cleveland 498 diesel engine. Which was an experimental engine for the Cleveland Diesel and Engine Company. She was a single screw tug, rated at 2,000 horsepower.
(Paul Strubeck, Jim Garret)