Built in 1944 by the Columbia Boat Building Company of Astoria, Oregon as the S.W. Lovell for the Port of Astoria, Oregon.
The tug was later sold and renamed as the Sea Winch.
Eventually she was acquired by Seacoast Transportation Incorporated of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2002, the tug was acquired by Sea Winch LLC of Seattle, Washington. Where she retained her name.
She was then donated to the Seattle Maritime Academy, a division of Seattle Community College. Where the tug was renamed as the Maritime Pioneer and used as a training vessel.
In 2013, the tug was acquired by Michael Kirste of Sayward, British Columbia. Where she retained her name.
Her powerplant consists of two Cummins NH-855M diesels with Twin Disc MG-509 4.5:1 reduction gear turning two 4-blade bronze propellors. For a rated 430 horsepower.
Electrical service is provided by Kohler 8 and 12kW generators. Capacities include 2,000 gallons of fuel oil and 200 gallons of fresh water.
Towing equipment consists of a Markey single-drum hydraulic winch with 1,000 feet of 7/8 inch wire.