Built in 1890, by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company of Newport News, Virginia (hull #1) as the Dorothy for James Sheffield of Norfolk, Virginia.
The tug was then acquired by the New York Central Railroad Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed the New York Central No. 3.
She was later acquired by the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where the tug was renamed as the J. Alvah Clark.
In 1958, the company became an affiliate of the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1962, the tug was acquired by an individual named Eva Simpkins. Where the tug was renamed as the Jesse Jr.
The tug was later sold, where she was renamed as the Janet S. In September 1964, while transiting the Delaware Canal, she was damaged in a collision with a barge, declared beyond repair, and ultimately abandoned on the Elizabeth River.
In 1974, the hull was salvaged and brought back to Newport News Shipbuilding, where between 1974 and 1976 the tug was restored. She was then towed into a dry berth along Washington Avenue, where the tug remains on display.
She was a single screw tug, rated at 400 horsepower.