Hull built in 1945 by the Gunderson Brothers Engineering Corporation at Portland, Oregon as a YTL-type hull for the United States Navy.
At the conclusion of World War II, the contract for the vessel was cancelled, and the hull was left incomplete in the Gunderson Brothers yard.
In 1947, construction was completed for the Willamette Tug and Barge Company of Portland, Oregon. Where the tug was named as the James A.C. Tait.
The tug was later renamed by the same owners as the Willamette Navigator.
She was later sold, where the tug was renamed as the Navigator.
In 1999, the tug was acquired by Liberty Bay Towing of Poulsbo, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Skookum Navigator.
In 2009, she was acquired by Harold Medalen of Petersburg, Alaska. Where the tug was renamed as the Tonowek.