Built in 1944 by Bellingham Shipyards at Bellingham, Washington as the YTL-430 for the United States Navy.
In 1972, the tug was acquired by the Willamette Tug and Barge Company of Portland, Oregon. Where she was renamed as the Western Chief.
She was later renamed as the Willamette Pilot, then the Western Leopard for the same owner.
The tug was later acquired by the Sander Towboat Service Incorporated of Benicia, California. Where she was renamed as the Shad W. Sanders.
She was then acquired by Lucas Marine Construction Incorporated of Sacramento, California. Where the tug was renamed as the Doris L.
In 2007, the tug was acquired by Vortex Marine Construction Incorporated of Antioch, California. Where she was renamed as the Doris.