Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
JOHN F. DREWS

Built in 1894 by David Bell at Buffalo, New York as the Calumet for the United States Revenue Cutter Service. She was commissioned in 18 October, 1894 and served out of Chicago, Illinois.

During 1898, the vessel was transferred to the United States Navy for service in the Spanish-American War.

In 1915, the United States Revenue Cutter Service was merged with the United States Life-Saving Service to form the United States Coast Guard.

From 1917 to 1919, the vessel was again transferred to the United States Navy for use during World War I.

In 1934, the cutter was renamed as the Tioga (WYT-74).

During World War II, she was again transferred to the United States Navy, then decommissioned on 14 October, 1946.

In 1947, the tug was acquired by the New Haven Towing Company of New Haven, Connecticut. Where she was renamed as the John F. Drews.

In 1950, she was acquired by the Whaling City Dredge and Dock Corporation of Groton, Connecticut. Where the tug retained her name. Soon after, she caught fire on Long Island Sound, then was rebuilt with a steel superstructure and repowered with a single diesel engine.

In 1958, the tug was acquired by C.A. Pitts General Contractor Limited of Toronto, Ontario. Where she retained her name.

In 1962, she was acquired by the Merritt-Chapman and Scott Corporation of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1967, the tug was acquired by the Dunbar and Sullivan Dredging Company of Detroit, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the William J. Dugan.

She was then acquired by Bob Billinghton, then Fred Paine. Where the tug was renamed as the Spanky Paine.

After working in Alaska waters during the 1980's, the tug was left abandoned in the boat basin at Homer, Alaska. She was then scrapped at Homer in 2011.


  • Vessel Name: JOHN F. DREWS
  • USCG Doc. No.: 252202
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • IMO Number: 5173565
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WD8529
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Ship Builder: DAVID BELL
  • Year Built: 1894
  • Length: 90
  • Hailing Port: HOMER, AK
  • Gross Tonnage: 124
  • Net Tonnage: 83
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Calumet, Tioga, John F. Drews, William J. Dugan, Spanky Paine
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Revenue Cutter Service, United States Navy, United States Revenue Cutter Service, United States Coast Guard, United States Navy, United States Coast Guard, United States Navy, New Haven Towing Company, Whaling City Dredge and Dock Corp, C.A. Pitts General Contractor Ltd, Merritt-Chapman and Scott Corporation, Dunbar and Sullivan Dredging Co, Bob Billington, Fred Paine