Built in 1955 by Gunderson Brothers Engineering of Portland, Oregon as the Wildcat for the Smith Tug and Barge Company of Rainier, Oregon.
In 1977, the Smith Tug and Barge Company was acquired by the Knappton Towboat Company of Astoria, Oregon. Where the tug retained her name.
The tug was later acquired by Westar Marine Services Incorporated of San Francisco, California. Where she retained her name.
Her powerplant consists of two Cummins N14M diesels turning two nozzled propellers. For a rated 880 horsepower.