Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
BETSY L. (1929)

Built in 1929 by the Wilson Boat Yard at Astoria, Oregon as the Louie II for the Westport Towboat Company or Westport, Oregon.

In 1942, she was acquired by the United States Navy, where the tug was renamed as YTL-324.

In 1947, the tug was acquired by the Knappton Towboat Company of Astoria, Oregon, where she was renamed as the Betsy L.

The tug was then sold and renamed as the Chief, and has since been owned by a series of individuals.


  • Vessel Name: BETSY L. (1929)
  • USCG Doc. No.: 229159
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WC3012
  • Hull Material: WOOD
  • Ship Builder: WILSON BOAT YARD
  • Year Built: 1929
  • Length: 70.8
  • Hailing Port: SEATTLE WA
  • Hull Depth: 7.9
  • Hull Breadth: 20
  • Gross Tonnage: 76
  • Net Tonnage: 37
  • Owner:
    TIMOTHY E WHITNEY
    1007 DOMINION ROAD
    CHESTER, MD 21619
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    LOUIE II, YTL-324, BETSY L, CHIEF
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    WESTPORT TOWBOAT COMPANY, UNITED STATES NAVY, KNAPPTON TOWBOAT COMPANY, ANTHONY SMITH, CLAY J JONAK, TIMOTHY E WHITNEY