Built in 1887, by John H. Dialogue and Sons of Camden, New Jersey (hull #277) as the W.S. Williams for the Lambert's Point Towing Company of Norfolk, Virginia.
She was later acquired by Jason McCaulley of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where the tug was renamed as the E.V. McCaulley.
The tug was then acquired by the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where the tug was renamed as the Petrel.
In 1958, the company became an affiliate of the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1962, she was acquired by the Cape Fear Towing Company of Wilmington, North Carolina. Where the tug was renamed as the Comet.
In 1995, the tug went out of documentation. Her current, and or, final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 900 horsepower.