Built in 1943, by George Lawley and Sons Neponset, Massachusetts (hull #1300) as the DPC-12 for the United States Defense Plant Corporation.
In 1946, the tug was acquired by the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where she was renamed as the J.F. Heil.
In 1958, the company became an affiliate of the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1968, she was acquired by Evelyn Berman of Berman Towing Enterprises Incorporated of Staten Island, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Jonathan B.
In 1974, the tug was acquired by Patriot Marine Incorporated of Winthrop, Massachusetts. Where the tug was renamed as the Southern Cross.
In 2008, she sank in Buzzards Bay. The tug was raised, and scrapped at Providence, Rhode Island. She was a single screw tug, rated at 700 horsepower.