Built in 1905, by the Neafie and Levy Engine Building Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (hull #983) as the Protector for the Whitehall Transportation Company.
In 1917, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Eugene F. Moran.
On December 8th, 1917 the tug was lost off of Atlantic City, New Jersey. She was a single screw tug, rated at 500 horsepower.