Built in 1953, by the Levingston Shipbuilding Company of Orange, Texas (hull #501) as the Helen L. Tracy for the Avondale Towing Line Incorporated of New York, New York.
In 1970, the tug was acquired by the Red Star Towing Company Incorporated of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Providence.
In 1977, the Red Star Towing Company was acquired by the Hess Oil Corporation of New York, New York. To form the Spentonbush-Red Star Companies of Brooklyn, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1980, the tug was acquired by the Crescent Towing and Salvage Company Incorporated of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where she retained her name.
Originally rated at 1,800 horsepower. The tug was re powered in 1999. She is a single screw tug, rated at 3,500 horsepower.
(Captain Christopher Roehrig, Robert Silva)