Built in 1904, built by the Spedden Company of Baltimore, Maryland (hull #206) as the Wissahickon for the United States Revenue Service.
The United States Revenue Service, was a precursor to the United States Coast Guard. The name, Wissahickon, comes from the Lenni Lenape tribe of the Native Americans living in the Delaware Valley in pre-colonial times. Their use of the words "Wisaucksickan" ("yellow-colored creek") and "Wisamickan" ("catfish creek") evolved into the contemporary word Wissahickon. Also a small stream in southeastern Pennsylvania which rises in Montgomery County near Lansdale and flows south some 40 miles to empty into the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Her hull was launched on June 11th, 1904. And, the vessel was commissioned on December 3rd, 1904. She was allocated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1916, the cutter was transferred to Baltimore, Maryland. On April 6th, 1917 she was transferred to the United States Navy. On August 28th, 1919 she was returned to the United States Revenue Service. And on January 1st, 1923 she was transferred to New York, New York. Where she remained in service, until she was decommissioned on May 8th 1935.
In 1935, the tug was acquired by the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where she was renamed as the Atlas.
In 1958, the Curtis Bay Towing Company was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. However, the Curtis Bay Towing Company operated as an affiliate of the Moran Towing Company. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1968, she was acquired by Forster Towing Company . Where the tug retained her name. However, the tug is no longer listed in documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was powered by a single reciprocating steam engine. With a Babcock and Wilcox water tube boiler, turing a single, fixed pitch, propeller. She was a single screw tug, rated 500 horsepower.
(Donald Canney, NavSource Online)