Built in 1872, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as the John S. Smith for the White Star Towing Company of New York, New York.
In 1914, the tug was acquired by Captain Daniel McAllister of the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Summit.
In 1921, she was sold. Her current, and or, final disposition is unknown. The tug was single engine, rated at 400 horsepower.