Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
RUSSELL 10 (1958)
Photo by: Robert Mattsson

Built in 1958, by Jakobson Shipyard of Oyster Bay, New York (hull #383) as the tug Russel 10 for the Russell Brothers Towing Company (Newtown Creek Towing Company) of New York, New York.

In 1961, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.

In 1963, the McAllister Brothers Towing Company renamed the tug as the Judith McAllister.

In 1978, the tug was acquired by the Eklof Marine Corporation of Staten Island, New York. Where she was renamed as the Celtic.

On November 17th, 1984 she was towing the 145(ft) by 45(ft) barge Cape Race via Long Island Sound from Bridgeport, Connecticut to Port Newark New Jersey.

When the Celtic failed to answer radio calls. And, did not arrive on schedule the Coast Guard was contacted. The Coast Guard located the Celtic under an oil slick in 70(ft) of water. She was 1.5 miles south of Sheffield Island. The position of the sunken tug is marked by buoy "WR-28" at Sheffield Island near Norwalk, Connecticut.

She was a single screw tug rated at 1,600 horsepower.

  • Vessel Name: RUSSELL 10 (1958)
  • USCG Doc. No.: 277003
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WK4351
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 383
  • Year Built: 1958
  • Length: 84.8
  • Hailing Port: NEW YORK, NY.
  • Hull Depth: 9.6
  • Hull Breadth: 24
  • Gross Tonnage: 146
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Russell 10, Judith McAllister, Celtic
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Russell Brothers Towing Co. (Newtown Creek Towing Co.), McAllister Bros. Towing Co., Eklof Marine Corporation, Island Park Towing Corp.