Built in 1942, by Gulfport Shipbuilding of Port Arthur, Texas (hull #197) as the Michael Moran for the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York.
In 1942, the tug was acquired by the United States Navy. Where she was designated as the Minnehaha. Where she was allocated to the 5th Naval District.
In 1943, she was redesingated by the United States Navy as the YT-271 (Minnehaha).
In 1944, the tug was redesingated by the United States Navy as the YTM-271 (Minnehaha).
In 1946, she was placed out of service. And struck from the Naval Register. And, transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal or reuse.
In 1947, the tug was acquired by Penn Maritime Incorporated of Rosslyn, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Penn No. 3.
In 1947, she was acquired by the Morania Oil Tanker Corporation of Staten Island, New York. Where she was renamed as the Morania No. 3.
She was later sold, and renamed as the Snipe.
In 1977, the tug was acquired by Northeast Towing Incorporated of Norfolk, Virginia. Where she was renamed as the Randy D.
The tug is no longer listed in documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(NavSource Online, Captain Christopher Roehrig)