Built in 1944, by Levingston Shipbuilding Company Incorporated of Orange, Texas (hull #364) as the ATA-179 Allegheny for the United States Navy.
Her keel was laid on May 22nd, 1944, and she was launched on June 30th, 1944. The tug was commissioned on September 22nd, 1944. The tug was decommissioned on October 10th, 1944 at Orange, Texas. On December 14th, 1968 was struck from the Naval Record where she was towed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 1969, the tug was turned over to Northwestern Michigan College of Traverse City, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the Allegheny.
On April 9th, 1970 she sank at her berth in Traverse City, Michigan and was raised and salvaged.
In 1972, the tug was acquired by the Great Lakes Maritime Academy of Traverse City, Michigan. Where she retained her name.
In 1979, she was acquired by Keith E. Malcolm of Malcolm Marine Incorporated of St. Clair, Michigan. Where the tug was renamed as the Malcolm.
In 1994, she was acquired by an individual named Rickey W. Wright of New Kent, Virginia. Where the tug was renamed as the Chesapeake Star.
In 1998, the tug was acquired by Beyel Brothers Incorporated of Cocoa, Florida. Where she was renamed as the Matthew Beyel.
In 2008, she was acquired by American Tugs Incorporated of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Where the tug was renamed as the Alejandro.
In 2010, the tug was rebuilt, and reconfigured with. Approximately, 30 (ft) was removedfrom the stern of the tug. The tug was fitted with a new flat bottom, sloping down at about a nineteen degree angle extended forward, and down to meet the original keel. A small skeg was attached to the new flat bottom section, the tug's z drives were installed just aft of the skeg. All of the machinery spaces were completely renovated and replaced, as well as much of the tankage was refurbished.
Originally powered by two, GM 12-278 diesel-electric engines. She was a single screw tug rated at 1,500 horsepower. In 2010, she was re powered with two, EMD 16-645 diesel engines, with Schottel z drives. She is a twin screw tractor tug, rated at 3,900 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 100kW Delco generator sets. Driven by two, Detriot Diesel 8V-71 diesel engines.