Built in 1917, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #26) as the Alpena for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1945, the tug was acquired by the Merritt-Chapman and Scott Corporation of New York, New York. Where tug retained her name.
In 1966, she was acquired by General Piping Incorporated of Indianapolis, Indiana. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1972, the tug was acquired by the Luedtke Engineering Company of Frankfort, Michigan. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1974, Luedtke Engineering Company renamed the tug as the Duke Luedtke.
In 1993, the tug sank on Lake Erie.
In 1957, the tug was converted from steam powered, to diesel. She was a single screw tug, rated at 900 horsepower.