Built in 1948, by G.M. Nichols Brothers Boatworks of Hood River, Oregon as the Battle Axe for the Smith Tug and Barge Company of Rainier, Oregon.
In 1977, the Smith Tug and Barge Company was acquired by the Knappton Towboat Company of Astoria, Oregon. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1988, the Knappton Towboat Company was rebranded as the Brix Maritime Company or Seattle, Washington. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1993, tug was acquired by the Brusco Tug and Barge Company of Longview, Washington. Where she was renamed as Simone Brusco.
In 2004, the Brusco Tug and Barge Company renamed the tug as the Claire B.
She is a single screw tug, rated at 312 horsepower.