(San Diego Marine Construction Company, San Diego Harbor Excursion, Flagship Cruises & Events)
In 1915, the Star Boat Company, owned by Rufus Creswell and his stepson Oakley J. Hall, operators of San Diego’s first harbor excursion vessel, merged with its main competitor, Ralph Chandler’s Crescent Boat Company. The new collaboration became the Star & Crescent Boat Company. The combined fleet included 16 ships sailing to Roseville, Fort Rosecrans, Imperial Beach, Tijuana and the Coronado Islands in Baja Mexico, as well as harbor tour, water taxi and tugboat services. The company operated a shipyard under the name of the San Diego Marine Construction Company, located on the South Bay of San Diego.
In 1967, Captain Oakley Hall, then the company's sole shareholder, passed away. In 1972 the shipyard site was sold to San Diego's Campbell Industries. By 1976, the excursion fleet had been transferred to a new corporate entity using the Star and Crescent name, and all other afloat assets had been sold off, ending the company's involvement in the tugboat sector.
In 1990, the company changed its name to San Diego Harbor Excursion. In 2011, the name was changed again to Flagship Cruises and Events, a banner which the company continues to operate under into its second century in business.