Built in 1950, by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding and Drydock Company (hull #231) of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin as the Emily Jean for Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding and Dry dock Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
In 1951, she was sold to G. W. Gladders Towing Company Incorporated of St. Louis, Missouri. Where she retained her name.
In 1968, the tug was acquired by the Memphis Barge Company of Carruthersville, Missouri. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1972, she was acquired by Warfield Towing Services Incorporated of Greenville, Tennessee. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1975, she was acquired the River Towing Company of Union City, New Jersey. Where th tug retained her name. However, the tug was chartered to McAllister Brothers Towing of New York, New York.
She was later acquired by the Horan Transportation Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
The tug was then acquired by the Eklof Marine Corporation of Staten Island, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1987, the Eklof Marine Corporation renamed the tug as the Rising Sun.
In January of 1988, the tug was dropped from documentation. And, converted for use as a floating workshop by the Eklof Marine Corporation at the company's yard in Staten Island, New York.
The tug was a steel twin screw towboat powered by two war surplus twelve cylinder Cleveland Diesel engines turning two 8.5(in) by 10(in) propellers. For a rated 1,800 horsepower.
(William Lafferty, Robert Mattsson)