Built in 1958, by Jakobson Shipyard of Oyster Bay, New York (hull #377) as the Hustler II for the Oil Transfer Corporation of New York, New York.
The tug was then acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Margot Moran.
The tug was then sold and renamed as the Jolene Rose.
She was then acquired by the Kosnac Floating Derrick Corporation of Staten Island, New York. Where she was renamed as the Margot.
The tug was then acquired by New York State Marine Highway Transportation where she retained her name.
She is powered by a single Fairbanks Morse 38D8-1/8 main engine with a Falk reduction gear at a ratio of 2.516:1 for a rated at 1,280 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by one 25kW; 1 - 30kW Westinghouse generator and one 3kW Dayton generator.