Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
WILLIAM J. MORAN (1916)

Built in 1916, at West New Brighton, New York as the Emergency for the Egerton Towing Company of New York, New York.

In 1926, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the William J. Moran.

In 1938, she was acquired by Robert Forsythe of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Essex.

In 1939, the tug foundered. She was a single screw tug, rated at 300 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: WILLIAM J. MORAN (1916)
  • USCG Doc. No.: 214588
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: WOOD
  • Year Built: 1916
  • Length: 76.7
  • Hull Depth: 8.9
  • Hull Breadth: 20.7
  • Gross Tonnage: 92
  • Net Tonnage: 62
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Emergency, William J. Moran, Essex
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Egerton Towing Co., Moran Towing Co., Robert Forsythe