Built in 1918, by the Texas Steamship Company of Bath, Maine (hull #7) as the South American for the Texas Company Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
In 1963, the tug was sold. Where she was renamed as the Achilles.
She was later acquired by the Wayland T. Coppedge Jr. of the Florida Towing Company of Jacksonville, Florida. Where the tug was renamed as the W.T. Coppedge Jr.
In 1976, the Florida Towing Company was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1988, she was scrapped. The tug was single screw, rated at 1,700 horsepower.