Built in 1927, by the Bethlehem Steel Company of Mariner's Harbor, New York (hull #774) as the Socony 1 for the Socony Vacuum Oil Company of New York, New York.
The tug was later acquired by the Amboy Towboat Company of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Where she was renamed as the St. Helen.
In 1956, she was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1959, the tug was acquired by the Marine Investment Company of Jacksonville, Florida. Where the tug retained her name.
The tug is no longer listed in documentation. Her current, and, or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 850 horsepower.