Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
SPARROWS POINT (1893)

Built in 1893, by the Neafie and Levy Ship and Engine Building Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (hull #866) as the Col. John F. Gaynor for the United States Army

The tug was later acquired by the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where the tug was renamed as the Sparrows Point.

In 1958, the company became an affiliate of the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1961, she went out of documentation. Her current, and, or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 500 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: SPARROWS POINT (1893)
  • USCG Doc. No.: 0126983
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 866
  • Ship Builder: Neafie & Levy Ship & Engine Building Company
  • Year Built: 1893
  • Length: 91.5
  • Hull Depth: 10.4
  • Hull Breadth: 21.0
  • Gross Tonnage: 153
  • Net Tonnage: 76
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Col. John F. Gaynor
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Army, Curtis Bay Towing Co., Moran Towing Co.