Built in 1926, by Spedden Shipbuilding of Baltimore, Maryland (hull #262) as the Samson for the Diamond P. Transportation Company of Norfolk, Virginia.
The tug was later acquired by the Oil Transfer Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1962, she was acquired by the Moran Towing Company. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1962, the tug was acquired by Thomas A. Feeney of Kingston, New York. Where she was renamed as the River Rat.
The tug is no longer listed in documentation. Her current, and, or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 400 horsepower.