Built in 1917, by the Greenport Basin and Construction Company of Greenport, New York as the S.T. Co. No. 3 for the Standard Transportation Company of New York, New York.
In 1917, she was transferred to the the Socony Vacuum Oil Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Socony 3.
The tug was later acquired by the Portland Towboat Company of Portland, Maine. Where she was renamed as the Maine.
In 1951, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Richard J. Moran.
In 1972, she was scrapped. The tug was single screw tug, rated at 900 horsepower.