Built in 1919, by Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding of Green Bay, Wisconsin (hull #2806) as the Port Howard for the United States Maritime Commission.
The tug was later acquired by Edward E. Barrett of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Richard J. Barrett.
In 1949, she was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1956, the tug was dismantled. She was a single screw tug, rated at 450 horsepower.