Built in 1928, by Newport News Shipbuilding of Newport News, Virginia (hull #327) as the W.J. Harahan for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company of Richmond, Virginia.
In 1949, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Margaret M. McAllister.
In 1957, the tug was converted to diesel from her original steam configuration.
In 1994, the tug was scrapped. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,800 horsepower.