Built in 1890, by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company of Newport News, Virginia (hull #1) as the Dorothy for James Sheffield of Norfolk, Virginia.
The tug was then acquired by the New York Central Railroad Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed the New York Central No. 3.
She was later acquired by the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where the tug was renamed as the J. Alvah Clark.
In 1958, the company became an affiliate of the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1962, the tug was acquired by an individual named Eva Simpkins. Where the tug was renamed as the Jesse Jr.
The tug was later sold, where she was renamed as the Janet S. She is no longer listed in documentation. It is reported that the tug was returned to Newport News, Virginia. Where she was preserved. She was a single screw tug, rated at 400 horsepower.