Built in 1995, by Trinity Marine Group of Lockport, Louisiana (hull #1438) as the Barney Turecamo for the Turecamo Coastal and Harbor Towing Corporation of New York, New York.
In 1998, the Turecamo Coastal and Harbor Towing Corporation was acquired by the the Moran Towing Corporation of New Canaan, Connecticut. Where the tug retained her name.
Originally constructed to transport cement barges. The tug was a modified designed concieved for the Otto Candies Company of Des Allemands, Louisiana.
One of the major differences between the Barney Turecamo and the Otto Candies vessels. Was that the Barney Turecamo and Scott Turecamo had shallower hulls. And, the forefoot was somewhat cut away. Both boats were outfitted with New England Trawler, single drum, towing winches. As opposed to the Markey Towing winches, outfitted on the Otto Candies vessels.
At the time, the boats were "spec'd" out just prior to Moran Towing Company's acquisition of the Turecamo Coastal and Harbor Towing Corporation. It was decided, that the Moran Towing Corporation desired the boats to carry a shallow enough draft to perform creek work.
Powered by two, twelve cylinder, EMD L12-645-F7B diesel engines. Turning two, cast steel, fixed pitch propellers. She is a twin screw tug, rated at 5,100 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 125kW, Marathon generator sets. With a third, 125kW Marathon generator set, as an auxiliary. The tug's capacities are 130,765 gallons of fuel, 9,774 gallons of freshwater, and 34,078 gallons of ballast water.
In 2005, the tug was outfitted with a new, elevated pilothouse providing a 55(ft) height of eye. As well as an INTERcon "C" series coupler system.
The tug was "married" to a 427(ft) double hulled 110,000(bbls) barge, the Georgia. That was constructed in 2005, by Bay Ship of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
(Captain Eric Takakjian, Robert P. Hill)