Built in 1926, by A. C. Brown and Son of Tottenville, New York as the Chesapeake for the Chesapeake Lighterage and Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
In 1944, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where initially the tug retained her name.
In 1944, the Moran Towing Company renamed the tug as the Helen B. Moran.
In 1959, she was scrapped. The tug was single screw, rated at 300 horsepower.