Built in 1919, at Eastern Shore Shipbuilding of Sharpstown, Maryland as the No. 58 for the United States Navy.
The tugs of her class were initially constructed for the United Stated Navy as part of the war effort. However, the tugs were completed after the end of hostilities.
In 1919, the tug was acquired by the State of New York of Albany, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the NY No. 58.
On December 12th, 1919 the tug was acquired by the United States Coast Guard. Where she was designated as the Chenango. The vessel was assigned to operations at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. However, she was decommissioned on September 30th, 1922. And sold on July 17th, 1924.
In 1922, the tug was acquired by the Chesapeake Lighterage and Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where the tug was renamed as the Apollo. However, the Chesapeake Lighterage Company later renamed the tug as the Chesapeake.
In 1944, she was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1955, the tug was scrapped. She was powered by a single, 18(in) by 24(in) stroke, steam engine. For a rated 350 horsepower.
(Donald Canney, NavSource Online)