Built in 1929, by the Bethlehem Steel Company of Staten Island, New York (hull #790) as the Socony 23 for the Socony Vacum Oil Company of New York, New York.
In 1955, the Socony Vacum Oil Company became the Socony Mobil Oil Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1960, she was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Bruce A. McAllister.
In 1974, she was acquired by the Gaelic Tugboat Company of Grosse Isle, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the Killarney. However, later that year she foundered twenty miles off of Fairport Harbor, Ohio with no loss of life.
Originally powered by a double cylinder, compound, steam engine, 16-32 by 24. With one Scotch boiler, 12.5(ft) by 11(ft), 1856(sq. ft.) HS, 155(psi) WP. Rated at 550 horsepower. In 1949, the tug was repowered with a single, twelve cylinder, EMD diesel engine. For a rated 1,200 horsepower.