Built in 1971, by the Marinette Marine Corporation of Marinette, Wisconsin (hull #YTB 821) as the YTB-821 (Tontogany) for the United States Navy.
A Natick class large harbor tug. She was the first in the United States Navy to bare the name. Named after a town in Wood County, located in northwestern Ohio named for a local Indian chief.
Her keel was laid on December 4th, 1972. She was launched on May 16th, 1973. And, the tug was delivered to the United States Navy on July 28th, 1973. She was stricken from the Naval Register on March 13th, 2001.
In 2001, The tug was acquired by McAllister Towing and Transportation of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Dorothy McAllister.
In 2002, she was repowered/reconfigured. Originally powered by a single Fairbanks Morse diesel engine, rated at 2,000 horsepower. She was repowered with two Caterpillar 3516B diesel engines. Driving two Schottel SRP 1012 "z-drives," for a rated 4,000 horsepower.
The Dorothy McAllister was the fifth conversion of a United States Naval tug by McAllister Towing. From a single screw configuration, to a "z-drive" configuration. The third conversion to feature twin "z-drives." Also, she was the eighteenth tractor tug to enter service for McAllister Towing and Transportation.
Her generators were replaced, as well. The tug's electrical service is provided by two Tier II compliant 99kW John Deere EPA PowerTech generators. The tug's capacities are 20,000 gallons of fuel oil, 710 gallons of lube oil and 1,290 gallons of potable water.
She was outfitted with new fire fighting equipment that consisted of a Goulds pump. Rated at 2,000 Gallons Per Minute. Feeding two fire monitors with a 1,500 Gallon Per Minute foam capacity. Driven by a single 6-71 diesel engine.
The towing gear consists of a JonRie InterTech 200 winch mounted on the bow. Outfitted with 450(ft) of 7(in) Neutron rope. Her original underwater submarine fendering was kept, and refurbished.