Built in 1945, by the Gibbs Gas Engine Company of Jacksonville, Florida (hull #YT-402) as the YTB-402 (Panameta) for the United States Navy.
A Sassaba Class District Harbor Tug her keel was laid down on the 22nd of September 1944. She was launched on the 27th, of February 1945. And was delivered to the Navy June 8th, 1945.
The YTB-402 (Panameta) was allocated to the 17th Naval District in Alaska, Naval Station Adak, Alaska. However, in February of 1962 she was reclassified as a District Harbor Tug Medium YTM-402.
She was eventually placed out of service, and struck from the Naval Register. On July 1st, 1977. The tug was sold by the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS).
In 1977, the tug was acquired by an undisclosed individual of Adak, Alaska. Where the tug was renamed as the Cindy Lee. And, then as the Cindy.
She was eventually acquired by the Western Towboat Company of Seattle, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Ocean Mariner.
In 1997, the tug was acquired by the Salmon Barge and Tug Lines of Seattle, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Caleb.
In 2006, she was acquired by an individual named Brian Farcy of Ward Cove, Alaska. Where the tug retained her name.
Originally powered by a single, Cleveland 278A diesel engine. The Western Towboat Company re powered, and reconfigured the tug. Utilizing the former engine room for the installation of additional fuel tanks. With two, Cummins KTA 1150 diesel engines, installing the new engines in the tug's former drive room. With 2:1 reduction gears into the original Ferrell 7:1 gathering box, and retaining the original propeller, for a rated 1,030 horsepower.
(Captain Ric Shrewsbury, NAVsource Online)