Built in 1942, by the Gulfport Boiler and Welding Company of Port Arthur, Texas (hull #206) as the Mars for M.V. Butcher-Arthur Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
The first of eight tugs in her class. The tug's keel was laid on February 25th, 1942. With the tug's Atlas Imperial engines where engine set on March 27th 1942. The tug was launched on March 18th, 1942 and delivered on April 29th 1942.
In 1950, the tug was acquired by the. Tucker Towing Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where she was renamed as the Joseph P. Tucker.
The Tucker Towing Company was eventually acquired by the Oliver Transportation Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where the tug was renamed as the Anne.
In 1960, the Oliver Transportation Company became Express Marine Incorporated of Camden, New Jersey. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1994, the tug was acquired by the Norfolk Shipbuilding and Drydock Company of Norfolk, Virginia. where the tug was renamed as the John L. Roper II.
In 2000, she was acquired by Robbins Maritime Incorporated of Norfolk, Virginia. Where the tug was renamed as the Bay Hawk. And the tug's wheelhouse was cut down.
In 2010, the tug was later acquired by Commonwealth Marine Towing Company of Nofolk, Virginia. Where she was renamed as the Hawk.
In 2012, she was acquired by Blaha Towing Company of Suffolk, Virginia. Where the tug was renamed as the Hill Carter.
Re powered in 1972, with a new engine and a steerable kort nozzle. She is a single screw tug, rated at 400 horsepower.
(Dave Boone, Allen Wisby, Dan Owen, Wayne Huebschman)