Built in 1952, by Ira S. Bushey and Sons of Brooklyn, New York (hull #604) as the YN 604 for the United States Army.
In 1952, she was acquired by the Providence Steamboat Company of Providence, Rhode Island where she was renamed as the Maurania II.
In 1983, she was renamed as the Valiant . At some point the tug was was renamed as the Towmaster.
In 1977 - 1978, the tug was acquired Ed Sanchez where she was repowered.
The tug was later acquired by Massachusetts Towing in 1986. Massachusetts towing was related to Providence Steamboat. In the 1990's, the Providence Steamboat Company acquired Massachusetts Towing.
In 2004, the tug was acquired by the Thames Towboat Company of New London, Connecticut where she retained her name and is still periodically active.
Powered by a Fairbanks Morse 6 cylinder diesel engine turning a single screw, single shaft rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(David Wright, Charles Crosby)