Built in 1942, by General Ship of East Boston, Massachusetts (hull #403) as the Port Huron for the United States Maritime Commission.
In 1942, the tug was transferred to the United States Army. Where she was renamed LTC Herbert L. Kidwell.
In 1948, She was then by the Dalzell Towing Towing and Transportation Company (New Haven Transport Company) of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Dalzelloch.
In 1963, the Dalzell Towing Towing and Transportation Company renamed the tug as the Dalzellido.
In 1965, the Dalzell Towing Towing and Transportation Company was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Joan McAllister.
The tug was eventually scrapped. She was originally powered by a single, Alco 5TM, direct reversing, diesel engine. In 1963, the tug was repowered, and rebuilt with a single, EMD 16-567C diesel engine. With a Falk 21 MB reduction gear, at a ratio of 3.96:1. Turning via a 16(in) shaft, a three bladed, 108(in) by 72(in), fixed pitch, propeller. For a rated 1,640 horsepower.
Her electrical service was provided by two 40kW generators driven by two GM4-71 AC + 1 35kW DC engines.
(Bob Beegle, Dave Boone)