Built in 1976, by Equitable Shipyard of Madisonville, Louisiana (hull #1677) as the Gulf Commander for Gulf Mississippi Marine.
In 1978, Gulf Mississippi Marine became Gulf Fleet. The company was owned first by Pott Industries, and then by Houston Natural Gas.
Gulf Fleet absorbed Jackson Marine (also known as the Sun Fleet) in 1982/1983. Subsequently, Gulf Fleet was taken over by Zapata (also known as the Service Fleet) in 1985. Tidewater bought the whole organization sometime in 1986.
The tug was then acquired by Hawaiian Interisland Towing of Honolulu, Hawaii where she was renamed the Jimmy Smith.
In 2006, K-Sea Transportation Partnership of East Brunswick, New Jersey acquired Hawaiian Interisland Towing, where the Jimmy Smith retained her name.
In 2011, K-Sea Transportation was acquired by the Kirby Corporation of Channelview, Texas, where the tug retained her name.
She is a twin screw tug rated at 7,200 horsepower.
(Mike Rethmeyer, Captain Eric Takakjian)