Built in 1971, by Main Iron Works of Houma, Louisiana (hull #258) as the Corsair for Interstate Oil Transportation of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
At the time Interstate Oil Transportation operated two fleets. Their Northeast Fleet or "Green Fleet" operated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And their Southern Fleet or "White fleet" which operated out of Tampa, Florida.
However, over the years many changes came to Interstate Oil, when a company called Southern National Resources (also known as SONAT Marine) acquired Interstate Oil Transportation.
Eventually a group of managers at SONAT Marine offered to form a partnership to raise the funds necessary to purchase the SONAT Marine subsidiary. These eleven partners included some who had worked for IOT since the 1950's. On April 14, 1987 Maritrans Partners of Tampa, Florida. Assumed control of SONAT's tug and barge operations.
However, in March of 1989 the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Prince William Sound. In 1990, the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 was passed calling for the double hulling of all petroleum carrying vessels by 2015. As well, as other stipulations that effected Maritrans including manning, preparedness and spill prevention. Maritrans filed suit to fight the stipulations set fourth by OPA '90.
Maritrans had begun to consolidate its business by the mid 1990's. By first, backing out of the black oil trade and carry only petroleum products and petrochemicals. The phosphate trade and local transport in Baltimore that was part of the Harbor Towing subsidiary did not fit into Maritrans's new business model. As Maritrans backed out local companies moved in that included Bouchard Transportation of Melville, New York and Vane Brothers of Baltimore, Maryland.
The tug was acquired by K-Sea Transportation of East Brunswick, New Jersey. Where she was renamed as the Beaufort Sea.
The tug was later outfitted with a JAK coupler system. She is a twin screw tug rated at 4,300 horsepower.
In 2011, K-Sea Transportation was acquired by the Kirby Corporation of Channelview, Texas. Where the tug retained her name.