Built in 1981, by Halter Marine of New Orleans, Louisiana (hull #1035) for Bouchard Transportation as the Capt. Fred Bouchard for Bouchard Transportation of Melville, New York.
In the 1990's the tug was chartered along with the newly built barge B. No.-240 by the Mobil Oil Corporation. When Mobil's new 140,000 bbl Seneca was constructed in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin in 1999. The Capt. Fred Bouchard was tasked with the barge's delivery, and to move the barge until Mobil's new ATB Mohawk was delivered "light tug" from J.M. Martinac Shipyard in Tacoma, Washington. Bouchard would not allow Mobil to repaint the tug in Mobil blue. Instead they allowed the tug's stack to be painted black, along with her two engine room ventilators. And, affixed to the ventilators were two Mobil insignias
In 2004, she was retrofitted with an INTERcon coupler system. Also, a keel cooled 99 kW generator driven by a Detroit Diesel 8V-71 engine was installed in the tug as back up for powering the INTERcon hydraulic system and main generator.
She is a twin screw tug rated at 5,750 horsepower.
The work on the Capt. Fred Bouchard was completed simultaneously as the 446 (ft), 125,000 bbl black oil barge the B. No.175 . However after the addition of her second hull she was renamed as the B. No.275 the barge was converted from a single hull to double hull vessel to meet the requirements of OPA '90. Her notch was modified to receive the tug's new coupler pins.
(Harold E. Tartell, Robert Silva)