Built in 1940, by Bethlehem Steel of Beaumont, Texas (hull #231) as Edmund J. Moran for the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York.
In 1943, the tug was requisitioned by the United States Navy. Where she retained her name.
In 1946, she was returned to the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1976, the tug was acquired by Andrie Incorporated of Muskegon, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the Barbara Andrie.
Originally powered by a single General Motors diesel engine. The tug was later repowered with a single EMD 16-645 EF diesel engine. Turning a four bladed, fixed pitch, bronze 120(in) propeller. Via an 8(in) shaft with 93(in) pitch. For a rated 2,200 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two 200 kW AC generators. Driven by two GM 8V 71 diesel engines. Her capacities are 25,000 gallons of fuel oil, 300 gallons of lube oil, 300 gallons of waste oil and 4,000 gallons of potable water.
The tug's towing gear consists of a single drum, Almon Johnson hydraulic towing machine. With level wind, outfitted with 2000(ft) of 2(in) of towing wire. On her bow she is outfitted with two Nabrico Electric / Hydraulic, 50 ton winches fitted with 1(in) wire rope.
(Carel Boone, Birk Thomas)