Built in 1976, by McDermott Shipyard Incorporated of New Iberia, Louisiana (hull #100) as the Barbara Foss for the Foss Maritime Company of Seattle, Washington.
The tug was chartered by the Department of Ecology for commercial tug services. This included rescue, standby, and operational drills at the western end of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and along Washington's outer coast. The tug had been specifically outfitted, and the crew specially trained to support its mission as a dedicated rescue tug.
Powered by two, EMD 12-645-E7 diesel engines. With Falk 1653 MRSF reduction gears, at a ratio of 3.958:1. Turning two, three bladed, skewed, fixed pitch propellers. She is a twin screw tug, rated at 4,300 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 115kW, generator sets. Driven by two, GM 6V-71 diesel engines. The tug's capacities are 105,000 gallons of fuel, 3,080 gallons of lube oil, 140 gallons of hydraulic oil, 4,200 gallons of water. Including two ballast tanks with capacities of 6,811 gallons, and 2,204 gallons respectively.
The towing equipment consists of a Markey TDSD-32, double drum, towing winch. Outfitted with 2,200(ft) of 2(in) towing wire on the primary drum. And, 600(ft) of 10(in) Spectra line, on the secondary drum. Powered by a dedicated GM 6V-71 diesel engine.