Built in 1953, by RTC Shipbuilding Incorporated of Camden, New Jersey (hull #217) as the William C. Baker for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
In 1975, the tug was acquired by the Poling Brothers Transportation Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Jeanne C.
In 1995, she was acquired by the Krause Marine Towing Company of Perry Hall, Maryland. Where she was renamed as the J.L. Krause.
In 2010, the tug was acquired by undisclosed interests, based in Venezuela. Where she was renamed as the Black Pearl.
Powered by a single, Fairbanks-Morse, 10-38D 81/8 diesel engine. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,600 horsepower.