(CONOCO INC, CONOCOPHILLIPS COMPANY)
Founded in 1909, Continental Oil builds the West’s first filling station, also investing in a fleet of delivery trucks, each with 3 tanks, to deliver different types of fuel.
In 1929, Marland Oil merges with Continental Oil and Transportation Co., forming a new company known as the Continental Oil Company or Conoco. The company owned nearly 3,000 wells and thousands of retail outlets in thirty states, and was headquartered in Ponca City, Oklahoma.
In 1948, Phillips forms a new subsidiary, Phillips Chemical Company. The company becomes the Conoco Phillips corporation of Houston, Texas.